Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers*
Servings: about 4
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Pricing: We priced out this recipe to cost approximately $1.50 per serving
- 4 whole bell peppers (any color)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 to 3 cup tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Wash and clean peppers. Cut off tops and remove seeds and membrane. Place prepared peppers on steamer rack in wok or Dutch oven and steam 3 to 4 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add onion and garlic. Sauté 1 minute. Add herbs, carrots and peas. Continue to cook 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots are tender, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and add the tomato, walnuts, brown rice and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Heat through.
- Stuff mixture into whole peppers.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of baking dish. Stand peppers upright. Pour remaining sauce over the tops of peppers.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes
* Adapted from Cooks.com recipe
Optional: add ground beef or turkey to the rice mixture for a non-vegetarian variation